my name is MARTINEZ

Living abroad has provided, and will constantly provide, me with enlightenment into society, culture, and myself. Being an elementary school teacher provides me with a story for every emotion. Being newly married will, I'm sure, provide me with interesting experiences. My name is Martinez...

Sunday, July 04, 2010

smooooth transitions, blow my mind

July 4th is winding down, actually its over.  And I didn't do anything really to celebrate it.  but, I did think about something, that I am going to try to convey here.
Life can change so quickly and unexpectedly.  July 4th, 2009 was an exciting day for me.  It was the travel day, going home for the summer.  Israel was going to pick me up from the airport and then we were going straight over to Elyse's house to join her family in a cook out/pool party.  It was (essentially) the first time I had been back to NC in 11 months.  I was super excited to see two of my best friends again.

On July 4, 2009 I was a happy, independent, single woman.  I was not looking for a relationship.  I did not consciously have an idea of anyone i might want to be in a relationship with.  If fact it had been that way all year, I had grown more and more secure and happy with my singlehood.  There were some boys that i "dated," but never anything serious and never anything that I would have wanted to grow into a relationship.

Then, unnoticed, inconspicuously, effortlessly, quietly, on July 5, 2009 I had a boyfriend.  I was in a relationship.  It was the most casual and comfortable transition in the world.  I remember that he came to pick me up at my parents house and we went running.  And, I remember that I was a little nervous because in my mind i was pretty sure we had made the transition from friends to couple but i wasnt sure what he thought.  but at the same time, he had to think the same way, there was no other option.  So eventually I did ask him if we were a couple, and his response indicated that i should never have thought anything else.  THAT is the biggest bump i can remember in the transition between friends and a couple.  Other than that, it feels like we have been Kristen and Israel for so much longer than a year.

It blows my mind to think that one year ago i had no idea that i loved him.  and yet i obviously did.

No comments:

Post a Comment