my name is MARTINEZ

Living abroad has provided, and will constantly provide, me with enlightenment into society, culture, and myself. Being an elementary school teacher provides me with a story for every emotion. Being newly married will, I'm sure, provide me with interesting experiences. My name is Martinez...

Friday, November 18, 2011

Recently I've been considering life as a American living in Mexico indefinitely.  Why do we come here?  Why do we stay?  What do we like about living a bi-cultural life?  How did we "acustumbrate" to a bi-cultural life as an adult?  If/When we return to life as an American living in the United States how will we handle the drastic change to mono culture?

...I do realize the following are broad generalizations and sounds very egotistical.  Please realize that to a certain extent I am being sarcastic..

I think on some level I love being in Mexico because I am the exception.
When I am speaking to acquaintances in Mexico I am the girl who speaks surprisingly well for a gringa, who VOLUNTEERED to leave "el norte."  When I am at my job I am the girl who was educated in the way they are just implementing here so, my plans automatically start with where the administration is trying to go.  I am the best choice for the students because of the accent I have when I speak English and the one that surfaces when I speak Spanish.  And if I forget a technical term I can just blame it on the language barrier.
Here, I have the golden ticket of a US born tongue.  Here, I am the envy of all with my natural "blue" eyes and natural dirty blond hair.  Here, I have pre-programed small talk no matter where I go.  Although I live here my connections to the US provides me with a head start on some pop culture references, while my geographical location allows me to follow the Mexican side streets and completely separate highways of pop culture. Here, I can be the center of attention because of the simple fact that I stand out.  Here, I always have something to search for, some amazing product that I grew up with that hasn't been discovered here yet.  (I'd make so much money if I had the opportunity to introduce graham crackers here.)  Here, I can count on the fact that my name will cause confusion and that it will also be a warning of my non-native Spanish skills.  Here, I enjoy good jokes about the differences in social beliefs and norms.
Even when I take a trip home to visit the US, or talk to people who live in the US, I am the girl who speaks Spanish without a drop of hispanic blood in my body, the girl who dropped everything to brave a life in third world Mexico.  A hero gone to save the poor children in that backwards, violent country.

So, what will I do when I return to the United States?  The result of this strange rant is to conclude that the worse part of reverse culture shock will really be the simple fact of not being the exception.  I will have to be ORDINARY.

1 comment:

  1. Also, your friends won't be like the family-sister-mom (neighbour) you don't have, because you WILL have your family there. Friendships are very different back home because you don't need them to be so intense.

    ReplyDelete