my name is MARTINEZ

Living abroad has provided, and will constantly provide, me with enlightenment into society, culture, and myself. Being an elementary school teacher provides me with a story for every emotion. Being newly married will, I'm sure, provide me with interesting experiences. My name is Martinez...

Monday, August 30, 2010

i am a cruel teacher...but only internally

first week of school i gave my kids a vocabulary list of basic school supplies.  i will also supply you with the list in order to facilitate this "joke"
  1. staples-grapas
  2. stapler-grapadora
  3. pencil sharpener-saca puntas
  4. eraser-goma
So, i gathered all the physical materials to make teaching definitions easier.  I held up the first item and asked if anyone knew what it was called in english.
"grapes!" "grApas!"
"No," I said, seceretly very happy they messed it up, its just so funny, "it starts with 's'"
"Srapes!"

For word number two, I held up the stapler and staples, demonstrating how to put the staples inside the stapler. hoping this would jog their memory for the word for staples and notice the connection.
"Please raise your hand to tell me what this is called in English"
"grAper!" "engrAper!"
"Not quite, this one starts with 's' too"
"Stapelora!"

For word number three, i must say the kids must have been drilled with that English vocabulary for a long time because most of them had the same answer.  Don't worry though i stumped them in the end...
"Who can tell me the name..."
"SHARPENER!!!!"
"Good, it is a sharpener." I said as I wrote the word on the board. "but what does it sharpen?"
All i got in response to that was blank stares and kids stammering to try to deduce what in the world the Miss was talking about.  "What is it used for?  What do you put in this end and twist?"  I asked demonstrating with the pencil sharpener and an imaginary pencil.
"Pen!"
"no..."
"Marker!"
Wow, i really had stumped them. I certainly hope they don't sharpen either of those things or i'll have a very big mess and very messy students.

I must say, for word number four, I was almost certain of what my students were going to say.  but when they didnt give the answer i was expecting, (ashamidly) I was kind of dissapointed.  Almost as soon as I had lifted the eraser up and begun to ask for the English word I was surrounded by a chorus of "ERASER" "Erase!" "eraser!" "ERASER!"
"Very Good! it's an eraser." I said as i wrote the word on the board for the students to copy.  I know I should have been happy my students already knew that one, but i couldnt help being a little sad I had missed out on an internal laugh at the silly english.  but i was not to be dissapointed.  While the kids were finishing copying the words one girl came up to ask me a question.
"Do i draw a picture of the gum here?" She asked pointing to the space under the word 'eraser.'
"Draw a pictures of what?"
"ummmmmmm, the eraser!"

No comments:

Post a Comment