my name is MARTINEZ

Living abroad has provided, and will constantly provide, me with enlightenment into society, culture, and myself. Being an elementary school teacher provides me with a story for every emotion. Being newly married will, I'm sure, provide me with interesting experiences. My name is Martinez...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

spacial awareness

I think this is more of a personal issue rather than a social commentary.
So, here is the thing.
Sometimes I find myself annoyed with the lack of, what i would call, spacial awareness in many Mexicans.  This lack of spacial awareness sometimes is manifested by the "no personal space" issue many expats living in mexico mention; you know, when you were on the bus and people crowd you or when you are in line anywhere and people stand so close to you you can feel their breath.  But, also, sometimes I see people who think it is ok to cross right in front of the stage when someone is giving a presentation, unaware (or not careing) that they are crossing a certain line into the stage SPACE.  I have seen people who think it is ok to not get out of the way when people need to pass by a constricted SPACE, people who are not embarrassed if they are in the SPACE someone else needs to be in. 

so, all this comes down to the fact that, today, on the sidewalk i saw a mouse.  i was walking on a not too deserted sidewalk when all of a sudden there crouched on the sidewalk was a mouse.  Almost in the middle of the sidewalk there was the gray mouse.  he was trying to find out what kind of food was wrapped in a napkin someone had thrown there.  and he barely blinked when i walked right beside him.  I mean NOTHING.  it was like he didnt know that i am bigger than him.  it was like he didnt know that i am a human and that humans have a history of hating mice and screaming at mice and trying to kill mice.  he was not AWARE he should be concerened that i had entered his SPACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment