my name is MARTINEZ

Living abroad has provided, and will constantly provide, me with enlightenment into society, culture, and myself. Being an elementary school teacher provides me with a story for every emotion. Being newly married will, I'm sure, provide me with interesting experiences. My name is Martinez...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

teacher mental illness

I dont know if its normal... but i think i have some kind of teaching bipolarism.  for a few weeks or so i am so annoyed by my kids.  i dont understand why they have to be so...so... stupid.  I'm sorry, they are not stupid, but their ACTIONS certainly are.  and then, suddenly, even though my students have not changed, and their actions definatly have not changed.  I am a happy teacher again.  and it is my fault becuase i didnt explain something or i want firm enough or i didnt keep the consequenses consitant enough.
let me clarify- i dont think my actions or classroom change very much.  I always try to provide interactive lessons and smiles and firm compasionate guidance.  but, what i am saying is that my internal stewings change from week to week. 
for example, today, my kids were really annoying acting like kids and all, and yet- i am not annoyed.  why cant i take this mental state with me every day?

1 comment:

  1. I think in our job this is perfectly normal! Remember you are human and your mood changes too! Maybe you didn't sleep right one day and have less patience, maybe you're worried about something, or maybe it's just that time of the month... either way, I think it's normal that some weeks go by flawlessly and then other weeks (without changing anything) we get REALLY annoyed! BUT watch out if the annoying behaviour is consistent - maybe you need to change up a routine or procedure. We need to skype, I have so much to say about this topic and more!

    ReplyDelete