At the beginning of rainy season this year i decided that i would try my best not to let it change my plans or keep me in my house. So far it hasnt been too heavy of a season so its been pretty easy sticking to this goal, but today.... well let's just say Rainy Season tried its best!
I'm sot sure if you need this many details, but i consider it an interesting story. but you can skim if you want to ;)
There are lots of things that complicate life here in Puebla during rainy season. It can change from sunny to pouring in a matter of minutes. You might think you'll make it without getting wet and then... WHOOSH. or if the heavy huge rain drops don't bother you, maybe the frequent hail will. If you are lucky to be safe inside a car.... think again, the flooded streets, sidewalks, parking lots, and fields are quite a nuisance too. to top it all off, brown outs and black outs are relatively common.
So, that's where today's story brings me. Rainy Season.
This morning I awoke to a beauitful sunny day! blue skies and whispy white clouds in the sky. the sun warmed me from the inside out. I was in heaven :)
After lunch i knew i was going to have to go to the grocery store for some baking supplies (chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake for a friend's birthday). I knew it would rain sometime in the afternoon but I wouldn't let that stop me. I changed into more appropraite rain clothes. listened to the astonishingly loud thunder. I waited for the rain to come so it could stop and i could leave. I wondered if i could make it there and back before the rain came. and finally i decided to just go for it.
it was sprinkling while i walked to the store. I prayed that it wouldnt be raining any harder when i came out again.
While i was gathering the cheesecake ingredients i noticed that the lights kept flickering. The thunder had not settled down. and i did hear some rain pounding on the aluminum roof. oh well, nothing i could do about it now.
Finally, I made my way to checkout line. I noticed right away none of the lanes had open lights on. then i noticed that only 1/2 of the overhead floresent lights were on. it looked like the electricity had gone out but the store was usuing a generator to keep checking people out. good. I waited in line. I had to push my items over the conveyer belt because that was not something tha twas connected to the generator. I payed. my receipt printed. and the cashier was reaching down for the cash drawer to open when.... the system lost power. man! how lucky was I? the cashier manually proped the cash drawer open and gave me my change.
as i walked outside i noticed that the rain had slowed down to the same sprinkle as when i had gone in. pretty good i'd say. the rain tried its best and still i got home safe, dry, and with all the things i needed. pretty good i'd say. pretty good.
No comments:
Post a Comment