my name is MARTINEZ

Living abroad has provided, and will constantly provide, me with enlightenment into society, culture, and myself. Being an elementary school teacher provides me with a story for every emotion. Being newly married will, I'm sure, provide me with interesting experiences. My name is Martinez...

Sunday, November 25, 2012

22, 23, 24, and 25

I am thankful for many things!  Especially, during the past 4 days, 2 thanksgiving feasts!
On Thursday we had a thanksgiving comida with coworkers at Suzanne's house and it was nice because they are the people who I am connected to through our foreign experience here in MX.  With that key detail in common we come together and form various friendships and acquaintances.  It feels really good, and I am so happy, to have a support system in this place far away from home. 
Saturday I made a feast to eat here at home.  Israel invited his friends and I invited some friends from school.  We all ate at one makeshift long table.  We said what we are thankful for before we ate, we broke the wishbone, and we played games.  It was a great Thanksgiving and I am thankful that I have friends who help me to make the general Thanksgiving traditions come alive in our new home as well as friends who are willing to learn about my traditions.  And as long as they are willing to help me make Thanksgiving my way, I don't care if they bring salsa verde
The above counts as 2 thankful things.  the following is the the third thing i am thankful for.  I know I have already said a variations on this but this time I am thankful for my ability to cook and my desire to actually cook.  For the Saturday Thanksgiving i made many dishes:
turkey
gravey
green beans
corn bread
dinner buscuits
sweet potatos
deveiled eggs
pumpkin pie
pumpkin cheesecake
whipped cream
And for the most part they turned out well.  Cooking and preparing food has become one of my favorite pass times and stress relievers.  It is funny because I was the one in the family that stepped aside when things had to be cooked in our house, it was always my sisters that cooked and helped in the kitchen.  No matter how it began I am thankful for the basis that my family provided for my interest in good and interesting recipes and food.
Finally, for #25, I am thankful for comfortable home-ness.  Today we went to the market after a few weeks of not going, and our normal venders welcomed us back with smiles and comments about how its been a while.  Its nice to be known and recognized in the place that i am making my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment